If you have a Yorkshire Terrier or any Yorkie mix, you would be familiar with the fact that Yorkies love their coat and hair. Not only them, we as their owners love their soft coat and coat hair as well.
But we also got the responsibility of cleaning their coat regularly so that it remains clean and attractive. Isn’t it?
That is why I have come up with a list of Dog Shampoos that are best for Yorkshire Terriers. I have personally used some of these and therefore, I am in a much better place to discuss with you what I felt about each one of them and also rank each one of them as per their performance.
So whether your Yorkie has got himself all covered in dirt or you just want a regular bathe for him, I got you covered with the 7 Best Shampoos for your Yorkshire Terriers in 2020.
But first, let’s talk a little about Yorkshire Terrier Grooming.
Yorkshire Terrier Grooming
Yorkshire Terriers are a high maintenance breed as compared to other breeds. While the grooming and maintenance depend upon the owner to the owner.
Also, it depends on factors such as whether the coat is long or not?
Whether your Yorkie play outside and gets dirty often?
Believe me, Yorkshire Terriers are one of my favorite breeds and I have written various articles related to Yorkie grooming. They are:
- How Often Should you Bathe your Yorkie?
- How to cut Yorkies nails at home?
- Yorkshire Terrier Shedding
- Everything you need to know about your Yorkshire Terrier’s Coat
How to Pick the Best Shampoo for your Yorkshire Terrier
It is important that you pick the right shampoo for your Yorkie not just by going after a renowned brand but after understanding your dog’s skin and coat.
Download Our Free Training Course
Get Instant Access to the Secret Training Course and Unleash the "Hidden Intelligence" in your dog
Is his skin sensitive and dry? Does he sweat a lot? Does he have any allergies already?
Always find an answer to these questions and keep them in mind when you are picking a suitable dog shampoo for your Yorkshire Terrier.
Also, never ever bathe a dog with the human shampoo. There is a reason that we have Dog Shampoos in the market.
Here are some of the factors you need to consider in the shampoo when you are looking to buy a Dog Shampoo:
- Organic: These Shampoos are not as strong as the one with chemical ingredients in them but they are great for Yorkies with sensitive skin. They hydrate the skin and produce a silky look to your dog’s coat. Therefore, if you have a Yorkie with a dry skin or hair, Organic Shampoos can be a good option.
- Vegan: These Shampoos do not contain animal by-products as ingredients and are also not tested on animals in their testing phase.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a great ingredient in shampoos for bringing out the real glow in your dog’s coat. These Shampoos are best for dogs with sensitive skin. However, they are a little on the expensive side.
Company and Testing Parameters
- Made in USA
- Environment Friendly
Here are some of the factors you need to consider in your Yorkie when you are looking to buy a Dog Shampoo:
- Sensitive skin
- Itchy skin
- Dry hair and skin
- Skin Allergies
Some other things to look out in your Yorkie Dog Shampoo
If you have a Yorkie, you would know this fact that around 50% of their health concerns are related to their skins. Yorkshire terriers are most prone to skin allergies and hair loss problems like hypothyroidism.
Moreover, they are also prone to flea bite allergies and dry skin problems which further leads to redness and itchy skin.
These skin problems multiply if you do not take proper care of their coat. Their long and silky coat can get tangles which can cause irritation in the skin. This can make your Yorkie use his teeth to bite his skin and further cause redness and itchiness. This leads to serious skin problems and injuries.
The best way to prevent it rather than curing it. Bathe your Yorkshire Terrier regularly using the best dog shampoo.
Here are the things to look out for in your Yorkie Shampoo:
- Natural: These are Shampoos made of natural ingredients instead of harmful chemicals which can harm your dog’s skin and coat and contribute to the skin problems.
- Hypoallergenic: As you already know that Yorkies are prone to certain skin allergies, Using a Hypoallergenic Shampoo can largely reduce the risk of skin allergies.
- Moisturizer: Almost 80% of all Yorkies have a dry skin and using a shampoo that contains a high level of moisturizers will help moisturize his skin with essential nutrients. Aloe vera and almond oil are ingredients that are easily absorbed by the upper layer of the Yorkie’s skin.
- pH Balance: Using a Dog Shampoo which maintains the pH value of your dog’s skin is vital. If you use Human Shampoo on your dog’s skin for long periods of time, the shine of your dog’s coat will most likely vanish. Dogs have a pH value of 6.5 to 7.5.
Best Dog Shampoos for your Yorkshire Terrier
1. Isle of Dogs Everyday Jasmine & Vanilla Silky Coating Shampoo
This Shampoo is the best for Yorkshire Terriers and the scent of Jasmine and Vanilla makes the bathing time seem mesmerizing for both the owner and the dog.
It ensures that your Yorkie’s coat remains silky and smooth and contains aloe leaf juice which even adds strength to his coat. It is best if your Yorkie has dry skin and dry hair due to it’s moisturizing property.
Isle of Dogs Shampoo cleans all the dirt from the coat and also detangles it with it’s Jasmine and Vanilla smell which makes you feel that your pup just came out of the salon.
You can also avail the conditioner from this brand as well for an added layer of protection.
2. Nootie Dog Shampoo With Soothing Aloe
The reason why I really like this Shampoo is due to the fact that it is made of 100% natural ingredients and soap-free formula. The ingredients are mainly oatmeal, aloe, and coconut which soothes the dry and itchy skin of your Yorkie.
This Shampoo is completely free from any kind of harmful chemicals, soaps, and parabens which can irritate your Yorkie’s dry skin and also moisturizes it in a great way.
It’s ingredients, Oatmeal and Coconut combine to create a gentle and mesmerizing smell which adds more benefits to the Nootie Dog Shampoo.
They offer a money-back guarantee and is also made in USA.
3. Nature’s Specialties Plum Silky Pet Shampoo
Nature’s Specialities Shampoo is all-weather and all-purpose shampoo which can be used for a regular bathe as well as when your Yorkie gets real dirty.
This Shampoo contains special proteins and conditioners which not only clean your Yorkie’s coat but also strengthens it. It improves the coloring of your dog’s coat as well.
Another thing I really liked about this Yorkie Shampoo is that its scent is amazing and it lasts the longest time among all the Yorkie Shampoos I have used till date.
If you are someone who loves to see your Yorkie always glowing with his neat and clean coat with a perfect smell, definitely try this one out.
Though, quality comes at a price and this one’s little on the expensive side.
4. Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe All-Natural Dog Shampoo
Does your Yorkshire Terrier have sensitive skin? Then this Shampoo can be the best option for you.
This Shampoo is specifically designed to tackle the issue of Itchy and Sensitive skin. The Ingredients used are oatmeal and aloe vera which are completely natural and it also follows a soap-free formula.
Vanilla and Almond combine to create a gentle and fresh scent as well. It is 100% natural and biodegradable and absolutely free from chemicals.
Earthbath Oatmeal features a soap-free formula which soothes irritation and itchiness on your Yorkie’s skin.
5. Wahl Dry Skin & Itch Relief Pet Shampoo for Dogs
This Shampoo is a concentrate, that means you just need to use it lesser in quantity as compared to other Yorkie Shampoos.
It is a natural shampoo as well with ingredients like oatmeal, aloe vera, lime, lemon, and coconut.
This shampoo is PEG-80 free and is great for moisturizing dry itchy skin. It is available in many varieties such as flea and tick, color bright, lavender chamomile, odor and shed control.
6. 4Legger Organic Dog Shampoo
4 Legger is a great choice for Yorkies with sensitive skin as the aloe vera hydrates the skin and nourishes it as well. It is also completely free from any kind of paraben or detergent and the aloe and lemongrass combine to create a pleasant scent.
Lemongrass acts as an added layer of protection along with the essential oils in this Shampoo. This Shampoo is the best choice for an owner who is environment-conscious as this is a bio-degradable and USDA certified shampoo.
It is available in 16 oz bottles.
7. TropiClean Aloe and Coconut Deodorizing Dog Shampoo
TropiClean Shampoo is also made of natural ingredients. It is 70% Organic and made up of aloe and coconut formula.
This Shampoo is soap and detergent free and it cleans your Yorkie’s coat as well as strengthens it. This is another environment-friendly Dog Shampoo.
This company also uses the Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle formula for their packaging of the product. They are available in different varieties ranging from Hypoallergenic, Oatmeal Medicated, Deep cleansing, Shed control, Whitening, and Deodorizing.
Their bottle size is 24 oz.
I hope you now know which Shampoo would be the best pick for your Yorkshire Terrier. Isle of Dogs Everyday Shampoo is the best if your Yorkie has dry skin.
Earthbath All-Natural Dog Shampoo would be better if your dog has sensitive skin which itches him regularly.
These 7 Best Shampoos for Yorkshire Terriers are the ones that I have personally used and I have listed them. Each one of them are great and the best, just that it depends from person to person according to their needs.